EDUCATION and Ordination
- Ordination, Indiana Ministries of the Church of God, October 2011
- M.Div. (professional distinction in Hebrew), Anderson University, 2009
- B.A. (psychology major, special education minor), Stephen F. Austin State University, 1999
Teaching and Ministry Philosophy
I create an accessible educational environment that empowers students with diverse abilities and learning styles to master course content and achieve life learning goals. Ministry is central in all that I do, in an outside the church setting. I desire that all of my teaching, personal interaction, and ministry activities open doors for people to enter into a deep, abiding faith in God through Jesus Christ, learn to live with integrity and hope by the grace of God and the renewing power of the Holy Spirit, and experience reconciled relationships with other individuals and the community at large.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Course development experience with Moodle and Canvas.
- Assessment of student reading difficulties in second language learning.
- Innovation in biblical language teaching methods for students with visual impairments.
- Use of screen readers and braille translation software
Research ability: Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, French, and Spanish
UNIVERSITY TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Anderson University School of Theology
- Beginning Biblical Hebrew I/II, 2015-present
- Beginning Greek I/II, 2009
- Foundations of Pastoral Care, 2009
CHURCH TEACHING AND MINISTRY EXPERIENCE
Park Place Church of God, Anderson, IN
- Vocal team/worship arts, 2008-Present
- Crossroads Adult Sunday school class, 2007-2009
North Anderson Church of God, Anderson, IN
- Adult Sunday school teacher, 2007
- Infant/early childhood teacher, 2000-2002
- Indiana pulpit supply, 2009-present
- Music ministry (original compositions, worship music, and special events), 1986-present
- “Reaching Out and Bringing In: Education, Evangelism, and the Nurture of Christian Faith,” in Discipleship that Transforms, 2nd ed., ed. John H. Aukerman (Anderson, IN: Warner Press, 2015).
- “Multiple Intelligences in Christian Discipleship,” in Discipleship that Transforms, ed. John H. Aukerman.
- “Meeting Special Needs in the Christian Educational Setting,” in Discipleship that Transforms, ed. John H. Aukerman.
- “Educational Controversies in the History of Anderson University.” Paper presented for the Courtney Series in Christian Education, Anderson University School of Theology, 2009, PDF download
Web Site Articles
- “The State of Access to Biblical Languages for Scholars Who Are Blind in 2015,” Online access.
- “Is a Career in Biblical Studies Viable for a Person Who is Blind?” Online access.
- “The Place of Audio Materials in the Life of the Biblical Language Scholar Who is Blind,” Online access.
- “7 Ways to Build Community in the Church Lobby,” Online access.
- “Using Technology to Meet the Needs of Biblical Scholars Who Are Blind,” Society of Biblical Literature annual conference, San Francisco, November 20, 2011. Text and audio available from 2015 access update page.
- “Outreach, Community, and Reconciliation: Insights from People with Disabilities.” North American Conference of the Church of God, Anderson, IN, June 27, 2011.
- “Accessibility in Religious Settings.” annual conference of the American Council of the Blind, Orlando, FL, July 7, 2009.
Activities to Enable language and Biblical Study Access
- Braille transcriber, 2009-Present
- Ancient languages committee [Semitic Scholars], Duxbury Systems, Inc., 2014-Present
- Closed caption provider, Silent Blessings, Inc., 2012-Present
- Consultant, Classical Greek language braille translation table, Duxbury Systems, Inc., 2009
- Independent consultant: adaptive technology and ancient language access, 2008-present
- Developer, ancient language Braille tables for screen readers, 2008-Present
EMPLOYMENT, LEADERSHIP AND COMMUNITY SERVICE
Boards and Committees
- Indiana Inclusion Council, 2012-2013
- Health Care Access Committee member, American Council of the Blind, 2009-2011.
- Member, Education Advisory Board, Bookshare, Inc. 2009-2010
- Technical writer/usability consultant, Freedom Scientific, Inc., St. Petersburg, FL., 2002-2003
- Editor, The Blind Teacher, American Council of the Blind affiliate, 2000-2001
- ADA advisory committee member, Stephen F. Austin State Univ., Nacogdoches, TX, 1995-1997.
- ADA advisory committee chair, Stephen F. Austin State Univ., Nacogdoches, TX, 1993-1995.
- Special Education Advisory Committee member, Nacogdoches Independent School District, Nacogdoches, TX, 1994-1995.
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- 2016 Jacob Bolotin Award (Semitic Scholars), National Federation of the Blind
- 2011 Distinguished Young Alumni Award, Anderson University School of Theology
- 2009 Chester L. and Marian Gerig Memorial Award, Anderson University School of Theology
- 2009 Courtney Fellowship in Christian Education, Anderson University School of Theology